Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Meet the Students!

The eleventh graders in the agroecology class this semester at Saul have written introductions about themselves and their feelings on their school and this project. They come out to work on the farm every week, and we have a great time working with them. Say hello to those of them who volunteer to staff the pickup tent on Tuesdays and Fridays! We cannot fit all the profiles into this week’s newsletter, so look for more next week.

Kiara
My name is Kiarra C. Warren. I'm a junior at Saul High School and a small animal science major. Working with the CSA has been a wonderful experience. Being able to do so much hands on work is really helpful and fun. I've obtained so much knowledge about different veggies. They've introduced me to many new things, such as new bugs, vegetables, even weeds. Being able to learn what I should eat to stay healthy and have fun while doing it is great!
My experience at Saul High School has been amazing. This school has taught me things I never thought a Public High School could. Being able to come to a school like this is such a privilege. I'm able to do things that I enjoy doing, things that are going to have a positive input on my future. Ever since I was in the 5th grade I wanted to come to Saul. I was afraid that I wasn't going to get in but I did, and here I am.
Working with the CSA and planting my own vegetables like swiss chard, mesculun, champion collards etc. Learning interesting facts about them from people that are so educated. This Partnership is just Amazing!

Ian
My name is Ian, I'm a junior at W.B. Saul, and I help with the CSA. I help by growing vegetables for my agricultural class. I've worked on this project since sophomore year, when I helped make the beds for the crops, helped set up the green house, and helped plant the crops. This year, I've helped remove the weeds in what will soon be more beds for more crops for the CSA.

Jamal
Hi! My name is Jamal and I’m a student at W.B Saul and I have been tending the Weavers Way crops you now receive. I have learned much from Weavers Way and plan to learn more. I have learned what zones and areas certain crops need to grow, what water and nutrients they need, and even some of their pests. I also learned how to control and get rid of the pest the crops may have. The worst part of the CSA is, if a crop has a pest, how to control it. It’s harder to control pests from the crops because no chemicals are used, so you have to prevent the problem before it occurs. I look forward to working in a similar field as Weavers Way, or maybe even with them. I also learned physical labor like digging rows and raised beds, how to cultivate, and how to pick harlequin beetles. The main thing I learned was where our food comes from and how it is grown, packaged, and sold. Throughout the short period of time I have participated with Weavers Way they have taught me a lot and I have learned a lot and I look forward into working more with Weavers Way, and going into a field or one similar.

Anthony
My name is Anthony Clark. I'm a junior at Walter Biddle Saul High School.
My major in this school is large animals. The best things I love about Saul is the people, a handful of teachers I like, and the different large and small animals. For the 3 years I've been in this school I received nothing but good grades in agriculture. 9th grade I messed up due to my homework, in which I chose not to do it due to laziness and that was pretty much on of the biggest regrets in my life, but now that I'm older I'm no longer lazy and I'm on point with my work. This being my third year at this school I truly learned a lot. When I hear the word CSA, AKA "Community Supported Agriculture" I think that in general is a big step to changing agriculture. The agriculture class I'm in right now, we pretty much change what our school looks like as far as trash and recyled items are concerned. In my teachers Mrs. Naugle’s perspective, I'm guessing, she really wants our community to be clean. In this class we've collected recycled items and trash, and done planting, and working out on our field using a lot of tools. The CSA has allowed me to do a lot of interesting work like work with plants, and feeds off it. I'm proud to be working with the CSA because it taught me a lot of stuff I never knew at all. I'm not really sure that I'll pursue a career in the CSA, but if I did I would take the job seriously. I believe that working with the CSA in general can change the world in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment