Sunday, May 27, 2012

Meet the Farm Production Team


At Henry Got Crops Chris O’Brien, Matt Steuer and Nancy Anderson have joined me on the farm production team. Chris is a Biology and Environmental Science major from Temple University. He is from western Massachusetts. He has spent two seasons working on Community Cooperative Farm in Great Barrington, MA. Here he gained experience working at a vegetable CSA as well as working with grass-fed, pasture raised cows for dairy and meat production.
Matt is a Liberal Studies major from Portland State University. Matt has volunteered and studied at various farms throughout Oregon, both urban and rural. He has also toured multiple farms between Vancouver and California on an agricultural themed bike trip. Most recently he was volunteering at the well known City Slickers Farms in Oakland, CA. Nancy is a long time co-op member and resident of Philadelphia who joins us with a strong background in cartography and horticulture. She is a partner in a cartography and information design company called NaZa Designs. She manages the gardens at Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church and was the market grower/farmer at Overbrook Herb Farm for six years.

I have been managing Henry Got Crops, in some shape or form, for four years now. I learned how to farm because I wanted to be more self sufficient. After only a few months of living on a farm in British Columbia, I fell in love with it and decided I wanted to be able to answer, “I farm”  when anyone asked the question, “what do you do?” Then I moved to Philadelphia to learn about what it was like to farm in a city. I thought I would stay for 8 months and leave. Then I fell in love with it and decided to stay for another, and another and another season. There seems to be a trend here- a previously undetermined path has unfolded into a passion and a lifestyle for me, one that I could not be happier about. I grew up in Vermont and have happily found a way to recreate a small town, country feeling in a big city.

No comments:

Post a Comment