Monday, July 5, 2010

Meet Kirsten!

Hey there! My name is Kirsten and as the latest addition to Weavers Way Farm at Saul, I’d like to introduce myself to the Northwest Philadelphia community.
I hail from a small town in northern New Jersey and have been going to school at Reed College in Portland, Oregon for the past three years. I study contemporary American history with a focus on environmental, social, and cultural histories. Outside of school I coordinate and lead community service projects in Portland to urban farms, city parks and community gardens, and the Oregon Food Bank with an organization called SEEDS (Students for Education, Empowerment, and Direct Service).

So what brings me back all the way across the country to Philadelphia for the summer? Urban farming! To be perfectly honest, it’s hard to remember exactly how I ended up on this path. Last summer I volunteered at Pennypack Farm & CSA in Horsham, PA and did an “intern-swap day” at Weavers Way Farm at Awbury Arboretum. I met a lot of people not much older than me who were involved in urban agriculture hand heard about the community gardens and farms and sustainable food initiatives all over Philadelphia. I was so inspired.

And it dawned on me that organic farming in the city and working with young people was exactly what I wanted to be a part of. I wanted to apprentice here because of the opportunity to learn more about how to make an urban farm a real, sustainable source of local, organic, and secure food, do hands-on education with students, work for a newly blossoming CSA, and of course—grow some delicious vegetables.
In my free time I love to bike around the city, read food histories, practice yoga, get lost in the mountains on long hikes, cook for loved ones, and experiment with vegan & gluten-free baking.

It’s super exciting to be back in Philadelphia. I feel so lucky to work with and learn from Nina and Nicole, as well as Sarah and Zemora, here at Weavers Way Farm. Thank you so much for welcoming me into your community. I look forward to meeting more of you CSA members and celebrating the summer harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment