Monday, July 5, 2010

Meet Nicole!

I grew up in Connecticut, in a family that had lost its relationship with agriculture back when my great grandparents emigrated from their plum farm in Poland. I reengaged almost by accident, inspired in college by a newfound angst about economic globalization to try to understand my local agricultural system, then hooked on farming by the hard work, opportunity for inventiveness, the extremely high caliber of conversation that occurs while weeding a bed of carrots, and the sudden opportunity to never go indoors. My spirit plant is the dandelion, although I am also drawn very strongly to the bean and the kohlrabi. I enjoy singing at the top of my lungs while operating farm machinery, because then nobody can hear me very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment